Total Water Use in the United States, 2010
The water in the Nation’s rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and underground aquifers are vitally important to our everyday life. These water bodies supply the water to serve the needs of every human and for the world’s ecological systems, too. Here in the United States, every 5 years the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) compiles county, state, and National water withdrawal and use data for a number of water-use categories.
In 2010, about 355,000 million gallons per day (Mgal/d), or 397,000 thousand acre-feet per year (acre-ft/yr), of water was withdrawn for use in the United States. (All 2010 water use information is from the report Estimated use of water in the United States in 2010.) Freshwater withdrawals of 306,000 Mgal/d made up 86 percent of the total, and saline-water withdrawals made up the remaining 48,300 Mgal/d (14 percent). Most saline-water withdrawals were seawater and brackish coastal water used for thermoelectric power. Total surface-water withdrawals were estimated to be 275,000 Mgal/d, or 78 percent of the total. About 84 percent (230,000 Mgal/d) of total surface-water withdrawals were freshwater. Total groundwater withdrawals were 79,300 Mgal/d, of which 96 percent (76,000 Mgal/d) was freshwater.
The amount of water an animal needs each day depends upon size, stage of production, condition and average daily temperature. Table 1 shows the water requirements at a daily high temperature of 90 degrees F for various classes of beef cattle. Water requirements double when temperatures increase from 50 to 95 degrees F. Cows and bulls will need 15 to 20 gallons of water per day during the summer months. Diet also affects the amount of water an animal will need every day. Cattle grazing lush growth that contains 75 percent water need much less additional water than cattle fed dry feeds or hay containing only 10 percent water.
A University of Georgia publication lists the estimated water requirements for cattle in different production stages when the daily high temperature is 90 degrees F. The data suggest for cattle in this environmental condition, a growing animal or a lactating cow needs two gallons of water per 100 pounds of body weight. A nonlactating cow or bull needs one gallon of water per 100 pounds of body weight. As an example, spring calving cows will need close to 20 to 24 gallons of water per day for themselves and another 5 to 10 gallons for their calf in these high temperature environmental conditions. Remember, some of the water will come from the feed they eat, and vegetative grass is high in water content. Also, for the nursing calf, a portion of the daily water needs will come from the dam’s milk.
(NaturalNews) Gun control may be a hot topic, but what about water control? Recent comments from Nestle CEO Peter Brabeck imply that the world’s water will soon come under the control of corporations like his. Brabeck makes the astonishing claim that water is not a human right, but should be managed by business people and governing bodies. He wants water controlled, privatized, and delegated in a way that sustains the planet. View the astonishing interview here:
Water control hitting the United States
All of this means that Brabeck’s future plans include monitoring and controlling the amount of water people use. One day, cities and towns may be forced by international law to limit each household to a set amount of water. People may have to obtain permits to dig wells or pay fines for collecting rainwater. Laws like these are already in motion in the United States. Learn more here: http://www.naturalnews.com/029286_rainwater_collection_water.html
Nestle’s CEO thinks all water should have a price
In the interview, Brabeck touts that his company is the largest foodstuff corporation in the world with over $65 billion in profit each year. He proudly claims that millions of people are dependent on him and his company. Does this guy think he is a god?
He calls water a “foodstuff” that needs an assigned value. Who controls the price of water? Brabeck bases his sustainability projects on the fact that a third of the world’s population may face water shortages within 15-20 years. By price controlling water, Brabeck believes he may save the planet from food and water shortages in the coming years.
With the threat of future water shortages, is it necessary to strip all humans of their natural liberty to water, as Brabeck suggests?
What might happen if international controls are placed on water sources as a select few corporate dictators rule over the water supply?
Can a free and thriving people find better ways to conserve and respect water with their own liberty, rather than allow global corporations to control it?